Things I’m Leaving Behind This Fall

Every fall, the leaves remind us that some things are supposed to be released. So I made a list.

I’m leaving behind:

  • The need to explain every decision I make.
  • The belief that saying no makes me a bad person.
  • The idea that everyone needs to understand me.
  • Comparing my life to people who are living completely different lives.
  • Feeling guilty for resting.
  • Chasing people who aren’t meeting me halfway.
  • Taking responsibility for things that aren’t mine.
  • Overthinking conversations that happened three days ago.
  • Trying to make everyone comfortable.

And, perhaps most importantly…

giving unlimited access to people who consistently make me question why I gave them access in the first place.


I’m not saying I’m going to become a cold-hearted hermit who communicates exclusively through aggressive eye contact.

Although…tempting.

😂


I’m saying I’m learning that letting go doesn’t always mean you’re angry.

Sometimes it means you’ve finally realized something isn’t good for you anymore.

And that’s okay.


You don’t have to hate something to outgrow it.

You don’t have to hate someone to create distance.

You don’t have to make a dramatic exit.


Sometimes you just quietly decide:

“This isn’t coming with me.”

And you keep walking.


So this fall, I’m doing a little emotional decluttering.

If it costs me my peace, it’s getting reevaluated.

If it requires me to constantly abandon myself, it’s getting reevaluated.

If it belongs to an old version of me that I’m no longer interested in being…


Yep...You guessed it.

It’s getting reevaluated.


Apparently I’m Marie Kondo-ing my personality.

If it doesn’t spark joy, respectfully…into the leaf pile you go.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Right Now, These Are My Priorities

The Kind That Stays

A Lyric I Can’t Stop Thinking About